Home Assessor > FAQ
 Address / Hours
Anne L. Thurston
County Assessor


25 W. Polk Street
Room 205
Shelbyville, IN 46176

Real Property:  317.392.6305
Personal Property: 317.392.6306
Fax: 317.421.8419


Monday - Thursday
7 AM - 5 PM


What if I'm making changes to my property?
If a building permit was issued, we will be notified by the planning agency. If however, improvements or modifications are made to property that cost more than $500 and a permit was not required, you need to file a Notice of Assessment Registration. This form may also be used to notify us of demolitions.There is an assessment registration form that can be found at our Forms Area and/or linking to: http://www.in.gov/icpr/webfile/formsdiv/00786.pdf

Why do I have to pay property taxes?
We've all become accustomed to the level of services provided by our local community. Schools, police and fire protection, libraries and paved roads are only a few of the amenities property taxes make possible. Without property taxes, we couldn’t support any of the above.

How is the amount of tax I owe derived?
Your assessed value is multiplied by the tax rate. The tax rate is the total rate of the combined taxing units (County, Township, City or Town, Library, etc.) within each taxing district. The tax rate is expressed in dollars per hundred dollar of assessed value. This amount is reduced by a state credit, Property Tax Replacement and is automatically deducted from your tax bill.

How will I know if my Assessment is correct?
Review the information provided on the Notice of Assessment (Form 11 R\A or C\I). The form not only shows the assessed value, but also the information used to arrive at the assessed value. You are encouraged to carefully check the following for accuracy:

·       Year of construction.

·       Number of stories.

·       Exterior construction (brick, frame, block etc.)

·       Square footage (calculated from outside measurements.)

·       Number of extra plumbing fixtures (refers to the number of fixtures in excess of one full bath – 3 fixtures, kitchen sink and hot water heater per living unit.)

·       Other assessable features (including but not limited to: extra living units, basement recreation rooms, hot tubs, central air conditioning, fireplaces, finished attics and basements, open and enclosed porches, etc.)

**Any factual errors can be corrected by filing Form 133, Petition For Correction of Error, anytime during the tax year.

What if I disagree with the Assessed Value?
A taxpayer has a right to appeal their property tax assessment for any reason. The burden of proof, however, will be on the taxpayer to prove why they should have their assessment changed. Just saying: " My taxes are too high" is not sufficient. After carefully reviewing your assessment notice, contact your Assessor’s Office prior to filing an appeal.
Note also that three things may happen on appeal:

1) the assessed value may be raised;
2) it may be lowered; or
3) it may remain the same

See Appeal Process for more information.

What are Sales Disclosures and how are they used?
A sales disclosure is a form that is completed for all property transfers and must filed when the transfer is recorded. Sales Disclosures must be filed the County Auditor even if no money changed hands. The intent of the sales disclosure is to provide a base of information that will be utilized by both the State, County and Township Assessors to identify how much each property was transferred for. Sales disclosures were classified as "public information" beginning January 2000.

What constitutes True Tax Value?
True Tax Value is the sum of the land value and the depreciated value of improvements. Land is valued at its estimated market value based upon the sales of comparable properties in the immediate area. Improvements are anything that has been constructed on the land; including houses, barns, garages, swimming pools, decks, patios, utility sheds, tennis courts, gazebos, carports, etc.

Who is ultimately responsible for the value placed on my Real Property?
The State Legislature enacts property tax laws while the State Board of Tax Commissioners interprets the law, writes the rules and procedures, and sets the tax rates.

Who owns the property at a specific address?
To determine current ownership of property you should contact the County Auditors Office.

Is there any way I can reduce my taxes?
Yes. There are a number of credits and exemptions available to qualifying taxpayers. Your County Auditor can provide you with information and assist you in determining whether or not you qualify.

Where and when do I file my mortgage and homestead exemption?
Mortgages and homestead exemptions are filed with the County Auditor by May 10th and will be applied to the following year's taxes. If you purchase a new property, both need to be filed. Should you refinance the mortgage a new mortgage exemption must be filed. The homestead exemption only needs to be filed once even though you may refinance the mortgage.

When do I need a Power of Attorney?
When an appeal is being filed by anyone other than the owner.

Where and when do I file a tax return on my business personal property?
Filing of forms 103 and 104 are required by May 15th of each year and are filed with the Assessor in the County in which the property is located.

Where do I get a copy of a plat map?
The "official" copy of the plat is filed with the County Recorder's Office.

Are churches and not-for-profit organizations required to file a return for personal property?
Yes. The same deadline as above applies.