A summary of the duties and responsibilies of the Clerk of Circuit Court include:
* Keeping record of all judgments, orders and decrees for the court.
* Certifiy and attest to any court filed documents where a complete court record is required.
* Maintain all records of pleadings, motions, papers, evidence and court rulings of the court.
* Receives complaints and initial pleadings in matters brought before the court and may place cases on the court docket.
* Issue summonses and subpoenas to witnesses ordering them to appear in court.
* Issue personal service or sheriff service for Defendants on court cases.
* Charge and receive court costs and fees in connection with court actions.
* Receive payments of fines and money judgments levied by the court.
* Process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses.
* Process new passport applications.
* Collect child support payments.
* Administer all federal, state, county, municipal and special elections for Shelby County.