Contact Us
Amanda Walterman
Office Manager
Shelby County Plan Commission
25 W. Polk St.
Room 201
Shelbyville, IN 46176

Phone:  317-392-6338
Fax:  317-421-8365


Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday
7:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Closed Noon - 1:00PM
For Lunch

 Building Inspector

Building Inspector


Building, Plumbing, & Electrical Inspector-

David Adams

Phone: 317-392-6480

Fax: 317-421-8365



The Building Inspector's Office is located on the 2nd floor of the Courthouse Annex.  Our office hours are Monday-Thursday from 7 am until 5 pm.  We are closed for lunch from 12-1.  


Shelby County requires that all Contractors must be registered with the County before any building permits can be issued.  This form must be completed and all necessary information must be submitted before licensees are issued.

Building Contractor Letter

Building Contractor Application


This form must be completed by Home Owners that are completing their construction projects on their own.  This affidavit certifies that the property owner is not using a contractor.

Home Owner Affidavit


This form will tell you everything you need to get your permit for a room addition or accessory structure. 

Permit Procedures


After you have submitted your Site Plan (Site Plan Packet can be found under the Online Forms link.) and it has been reviewed and approved by the Technical Review Committee.  This form will tell you everything you need to do to get a permit for a new home.

New Home Permit Procedures

There is a Plan Commission Application for the Improvement Location Permit.  This must be filled out with every Building Permit.  You can find this application under the Online Forms section.


Shelby County requires that Plumbers, who are performing work in the county, are licensed with the state of Indiana.  We also require that the Plumbers obtain county registration.

This form needs to be filled out and a copy of your state license must be attached to obtain county registration. 

Plumbing Letter/Application


On the Plan Commission Home Page are the permit fees for building, plumbing and electrical permits only.   The home page also has an attachment for Plan Commission Fees.


This form will give you all of the necessary information for what is required before you call for inspections and what necessary inspections you will need for your specific project.  

Inspection Procedures

For contacts to the Shelby County Surveyor's Office and the Shelby County Health Department please look under the contact section of our website.