Official Website of Shelby County Indiana Government
Q1. Where can I obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate?
Answer: If the person was born or died in Shelby County go to the Health Department at (317) 392-6470. If the person was born or died in another county, contact that county.


Q2. How can I get a copy of my deed?
Answer: You can obtain a copy of your deed for $1.00 per page in the Recorder’s office. It can be certified for an additional $5.00 per document.


Q3. How do I change the names on my deed?
Answer: You will have to get a new deed drawn up either by an attorney or by yourself. We do not give out legal advice.


Q4. What information can you give me about an abandoned property?
Answer: The Auditor’s office can tell you who the property owner is. You can come to the Recorder’s office to see who the mortgage company is (if there is a mortgage). We do not know if the property owner wants to rent, lease, or sell the property nor do we have any way to contact the owner.


Q5. Where can I find if a property has any liens against it?
Answer: You can come in to the Recorder’s office and use our public terminals to check for liens such as Federal Tax Liens, Mortgages, Mechanic’s Liens, etc. In order to find out if the taxes have been paid current, you need to contact the Treasurer’s office. If you want information about a State Tax Lien or a court case you need to contact the Clerk’s office.


Q6. What are your hours?
Answer: Monday- Thursday 7:00 AM- 5:00 PM CLOSED: FRIDAY, SATURDAY, SUNDAY, AND HOLIDAYS. (Annex Building)


Q7. Where are you located?
Answer:In the Annex Building behind the original courthouse: 25 W Polk St Rm 101 1st Floor.


Q8. How do I record a deed?
Answer: Before you can record a deed, you must first take it to two other offices: First, the Assessor’s office (2nd Floor of the Annex), second, the Auditor’s office (1st Floor of the Annex), then you need to bring it to the Recorder’s office (1st floor of the Annex) to be recorded. We will keep the deed overnight to record and you can pick it up the next day or bring a self-addressed stamped envelope and we will mail it back to you.


Q9. Where can I obtain marriage or divorce information?
Answer: Marriage certificates & divorce decrees are kept in the Clerk’s office. They are located on the 1st floor of the original courthouse.


Q10. Where can I get a map of the county?
Answer: You can buy a large copy of a county map in the Auditor’s office for $1.00. You can get a smaller version at the Shelby County Visitor’s Center.


Q11. Where do I buy or renew a passport?
Answer:In the Clerk’s office, located on the 1st floor of the courthouse.